Friday, June 27, 2014

Book Review Times Two!



Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

I absolutely LOVED this book! It's about an adopted Cherokee girl who is figuring out where she belongs, with her adoptive mother who loves her, or with her Cherokee tribe who believes she deserves to know where she came from. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll understand the Cherokee culture a little better. Once I got halfway through I couldn't put it down! After I finished it I realized that Kingsolver had written Bean Trees to be read beforehand...so now I'm going to go back and read that one too! I didn't need to but if you want to read Pigs in Heaven, go ahead and read Bean Trees first. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!



The Curious Incident with the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon

THIS book is soooo interesting! It is written in the perspective of a teenage boy with Autism who comes across the scene of a crime and goes about solving it through the rest of the book. You truly get in his head and learn how he thinks and views the world and it is just fascinating! If you are in education, work with kids, or even are curious to learn more about Autism, you will LOVE this book! Children (and adults for that matter) with Autism can be incredibly frustrating or confusing if you don't understand how they think. This books puts you in his head and helps you understand the simple yet complex world that he lives in and needs to navigate.



As I'm studying for my tests for the next few weeks I will not be reading any novels until I am done with them so stay tuned for more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment