Sunday, June 29, 2014

Taylor and Catherine Visit Dallas

Our friends Taylor and Catherine came to visit  us!!!! I am super behind on blogging with all the studying for my Texas teaching certification tests lately but I am pumped to tell you all about this amazing weekend with some great friends. 

Taylor and Catherine came to visit us three weekends ago and it was just beautiful weather, though a bit hotter than normal MN temps this time of year. They were training for Grandma's Half Marathon (and did awesome by the way!!!) so on Friday morning I rode my bike and we went over to White Rock Lake to run around the paths. They agreed it reminded them of Calhoun or Harriet too. :)  This picture is from our run back through a woodsy neighborhood. 



The first half of their weekend we spent in Dallas so we started at the Dallas Zoo after a tour of White Rock Lake.  I'm telling you guys that this zoo is pretty amazing. I took Taylor and Catherine there on Friday afternoon and they agreed it was pretty awesome! Here they checking out the lionesses. :) 




My favorite so I had to take another picture! Doesn't he just look like he's chillin on a beach the way he's sitting like that eating his lettuce?? 


Friday night we met up with Andrew and Steph (who came over from Fort Worth) in the Bishop Arts District and went to Eno's Pizza Tavern and did some window shopping! It was so much fun to have so many friends around us again it felt like old times! :) Happy times for sure. 


The streets were lined with trees decorated with lights and it was kinda magical I'm not gonna lie. So is this girl. :)


Later we made it to The Rustic also in Dallas near Uptown and this was over the bar....Go 'Merica! (Yes those are beer cans - specifically Bud Lite and Budweiser of course)


Outside is a huge outdoor area with picnic tables, large beer goblets, and live music playing on the stage under the sign. It was a fun place to find in the middle of cosmopolitan Dallas to feel so much like a backyard party! 



The photo below is of something we tried that night at The Rustic. This is how they describe the food they serve, "Our menu features seafood from the Texas gulf, steak sourced from Texas ranchers, and dairy and produce grown by local farmers." Awesome!! We were excited! (Side note: Isn't it the Gulf of Mexico??) Andrew and Steph ordered the dish below and said it is "super Texan" and we just have to try it! We asked what is was. They wouldn't tell us but said it tastes like chicken....well it looks like chicken too. We checked the menu and the description says, "If you have to ask..." Hmmmm.....

They are called "Calf Fries" but we have since learned that all over the world they have different names such as "Rocky Mountain Oysters," "Coyboy Caviar," and in Canada "Prairie Oysters." Yes my friends, these are DEEP FRIED COW TESTICLES!!!!! Ahhhh!!!! Apparently it is normal "fair food" down in these parts and is common in rural parts of Texas, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and other Western states. I could barely try one but my parents always taught me even if I don't like it I should try it....so I did....and I barely got it down. When in Texas, do as the Texans do. Right?

I would rather not describe the texture but the flavor just tasted like any other fried thing dipped in buttermilk ranch dressing....but still. Gack!! I am glad I tried it but sure don't have a desire to do it again. Can anyone else check that off their culinary list? 


The next day it was Andrew and Steph's turn to show us around Fort Worth. We all went boot shopping!! We drove to Justin, TX where they make by hand and sell thousands of pairs of cowboy boots! It was definitely an interesting experience and Andy and I both walked away with new boots! :) Photo to come!



That night we also got some barbecue at a restaurant called Woodshed and it was sooo tasty. Between Cooper's, Pecan Lodge, and Woodshed, I think Woodshed beat them all. Just my opinion though!


Sorry for all the dark pictures...obviously a need a new camera! We finished the night at the Fort Worth Stockyards at a true western bar. This is a picture of the dance floor with a longhorn on the wall and the large "disco spur" rotating above! 


At one point I looked up and saw THIS. Nearly jumped out of my skin!



The weekend ended with a backyard smoked chicken dinner, World Cup soccer, and games of bags in the backyard. We had a blast showing Taylor and Catherine around!

Love you,
Betsy, Andy, and Lincoln :)

No comments:

Post a Comment